When will the people of Massachusetts stop voting for more taxes? Bottle deposit proceeds go directly to the state government. The Pols that want this have stated an estimated $20 million in extra revenue. This means more money from the people of Massachusetts to be used for more government spending. All hidden under the guise "recycling" and "jobs." View Comment
John B, it's simple math. I make x amount of money and my bills are y amount per month. Can I afford to pay this mortgage? I don't care if the lenders are lying and saying people can afford the payment, if your not bright enough to do simple math then your deserve what you get. Allowing people to point the finger at someone else and shirk their individual responsibility for the mess they got themselves into is absurd on its face.
I have seen you mention over and over again that the free market has failed or is not working. I would argue that we do not have a free market in the U.S. I'm not sure there is a real free market anywhere in the world. The markets in the U.S. see intervention from the government all the time in the form of Trade Policy, Regulations, Bailouts, Quantitative Easing, ZIRP, Crony Capitalism, the FDA, the SEC, the FTC, etc....The U.S. is a centrally planned, managed economy. A free market simply does not exist. View Comment
C'mon John B. nobody held a gun to anyone's head and said sign here...anyone can see the payment on the final paperwork and ask the simple question, can I afford this home? If you don't have the basic skills to understand your mortgage payment and interest rate then you have no business buying a home. It's just basic math.
Amnesty for illegal aliens is wrong by any president, even Reagan. I don't agree with it.
Not sure I understand your last point completely but supporting a law that forces citizens to buy a private product wrong by any measure. View Comment
- A more accurate measure would be; did job creation keep up with population growth? The answer is no. The total number of jobs actually has decreased by 2.6 million since January 2009. This is worse than both Bush presidents. If Obama want to get jobs back on track he should review the Regan policies.
- My position on the American military is the same for any president...avoid getting involved in the affairs of other nations, avoid nation building, avoid being the global police force, why, because we can simply not afford to do these things.
- There are so many things wrong with the Auto industry bailout:
The diversion of funds from the TARP by two administrations for purposes unauthorized by Congress. Interfering with the finest details of the Bankruptcy process. Insulating the United Autoworkers from from the outcomes of a bankruptcy. Denying Ford and other deserving automakers the victory of competition. The US can no longer counsel foreign countries about market interference. Calling the bailout a success is like applauding the recovery of a drunk driver after causing an accident and ignoring the family he killed.
Less jobs = less illegal immigrants, it's that simple. Obama has done nothing to curb illegal immigration and has done everything to prevent states like Arizona from protecting their own borders.
Quantitative Easing by the Fed, TARP funds, low interest rates and an awful financial crisis in Europe has spawned massive inflows of cheap cash into the American stock market. What Obama policy has caused the market to increase?
C'mon really...anyone could have said yes to that operation.
Here are some reasons not to vote for Obama:
1. Signing the NDAA
2. Fast & Furious
3. GM Bailout
4. Healthcare - Individual Mandate
5. Authorized Libya without asking Congress
6. Continues & expands Bush's police state policies
7. Signed extension of the Patriot Act
8. Broke promise to allow five days of public comment before signing bills, repeatedly
9. Appointed serial tax dodger Timothy Geithner to be his Treasury Secretary
10. Appointed Monsanto executive Michael Taylor to the FDA
11. Sued four states over immigration laws.....
The list goes on, on and on....
Here is what I know about Liz Warren:
- She supports the Individual Mandate that forces citizens to purchase a product from a private company or be faced with a huge TAX.
- She supports government investment in more failed "Green" companies like Solyndra and Evergreen Solar (there is a list of about 12 more). Does she really think suburban moms (her biggest supporters) are ready to give up their gas guzzling suburban tanks and drive sub compacts to school drop off?
- She supports a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants and upholding existing laws? How is that possible? If they are illegal then they need to leave and follow the already exiting path to legal entry into this country.
- She supports bailing out people who were irresponsible when they borrowed too much and could not afford the home they bought through principal write downs, special refinancing options for those people. How does that make those of us who lived within our means feel?
- She supports the largely outdated concept of unions and thuggery that ensues with labor unions. Why did GM fail? Why is the Post Office bankrupt? Tenure for teachers...the list goes on.
- She supports pouring more money into Higher Ed by giving out more of our tax dollars through grants and FORGIVING loans??? Why?
I just don't understand this person and the lack of support for personal responsibility...I know enough that I would never vote for someone who continues to advocate for taking my money and giving it to someone else. View Comment
I can't argue with anything you said there. Unfortunately, many of the politicians in Washington these days all fit the same mold. Wealthy, elitist and devoid of strong moral fiber.
Obama has had 4 years and has done nothing but disappoint at every turn, it's time for him to move on. I don't want Romney, but he feels like the lesser of two evils. View Comment
I think most fair minded people would agree that the pre-existing condition aspect of the law makes sense even though it will increase the overall cost of health care. A small price to pay for a big benefit. That does not mean that the government should mandate that people purchase a private product or be penalized via a tax.
I think most liberty minded people would agree that less taxes are better for everyone.
Here are some facts for the Romneycare bill passed in Massachusetts:
-According to the Beacon Hill Institute the RomneyCare plan has increased total health insurance costs by $4.3 Billion.
-Since the passage of RomneyCare, healthcare costs paid by the state have risen until they now account for 40% of the state budget
-The Kiaser Family Foundation recently found that Massachusetts health insurance premiums are now the highest in the nation. This has come about since the passage of RomneyCare.
-According to the Beacon Hill Institute, RomneyCare is responsible for nearly 18,500 lost jobs since its passage.
I think if all people believed that role of government was to guarantee and protect our civil liberties then we would all be happier and more prosperous. View Comment
I wonder why someone would be fined for what seems like a victimless code violation. She let her license expire and continued to work. When she "realized" it was expired, she applied and received a new license. No harm, no foul. View Comment
"The program also supports matched savings programs, which help low and moderate wage earners move towards economic self-sufficiency."
Question: Does this mean the Commonwealth takes tax money from me (and my possible savings account) and gives it to someone else to put in their savings account?
"By teaching children the financial education basics in school, we will help them make educated financial decisions in the future, preventing future bankruptcies, foreclosures and unmanageable debt."
Question 1: Isn't this called Math?
Question 2: Shouldn't parents be teaching their own children not to run deficits? View Comment
@ John B, Obamacare should be repealed. A mandate from the government stating that you must buy something or be taxed does not sit well with freedom & liberty minded people.
Government doesn't create productive jobs, they can only get out of the way and let private investment create jobs. View Comment