AUBURN, Mass. – Two men were arrested Sunday in the latest of what police describe as a rash of residential break-ins around Auburn. The duo, one from Auburn, one from Worcester, were charged with breaking into two homes on Hampton Street, according to Det. Sgt. Jeffrey Lourie.
Auburn Police received a report of a residential burglar alarm going off Sunday afternoon in the Hampton Street area, and responding officers found that two homes had been broken into.
A witness said she had seen a man running from one of the homes into a waiting brown Chevy Malibu sedan. Officers located the vehicle and arrested Jacob Patulak and Ryan Humphrey.
Patulak, 19, of 12 Sumner St., Auburn, was charged with two counts of breaking and entering, two counts of larceny over $250, destruction of property over $250 and operating a motor vehicle with a suspended license.
Humphrey, 21, of 4 Tracy Place, Worcester, was charged with larceny over $250 and being an accessory after-the-fact of a breaking and entering.
Police said they believe the pair are also linked to a break-in at a Marilyn Drive house on Sept. 20.
“The investigation is ongoing and additional charges could be coming,” Lourie said.
Since the beginning of August, there have been about 16 residential break-ins and several attempted break-ins, according to Lourie. They have happened all around town, including Millbury Street, South Street, Jerome Avenue and Rochdale Street.
“For whatever reason, there are a lot of incidents right now,” Lourie said. “We are finding some links between the cases, and we continue to work these cases and compare evidence. Hopefully we’ll see a decline in the incidents.”
He encourages residents to call the Auburn Police Department at 508-832-7777 when they see suspicious activity.