AUBURN, Mass. – The Auburn Fire Department quickly put out a bus fire Friday morning as the five passengers escaped without injury.
The Fire Department received a report of a bus burning in the parking lot of the Royal Lounge on Southbridge Street at 11:15 a.m.
Fire crews arrived to find smoke pouring from a tour bus. The five occupants, all from Canada, were on their way to the Thompson Speedway.
The occupants said they smelled something burning and then noticed heavy smoke in the rear of the bus. The driver was able to get the vehicle off the road and into the parking lot.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze and removed smoldering debris, including a mattress and clothing.
The Auburn Fire Investigation Unit was on scene. It was believed that the bus's engine ignited a piece of plywood under a mattress in the rear of the bus.