SHREWSBURY, Mass. - If you see a cameraman or hear a man yelling “Action!” around Shrewsbury, don’t be surprised. The independent film “Blessid” is filming at several locations in town.
Shooting is being done in Shrewsbury, Spencer, Webster and other Massachusetts towns, producer/writer and Shrewsbury resident Robert Heske said. Shrewsbury film locations include Mount View Cemetery and Heske’s home on Floral Avenue.
The plot for "Blessid" involves a pregnant woman — Rachel Kerbs — with a cursed past who forms a bond with a man who is immortal played by Rick Montgomery Jr.
Other cast members include:
• The young Madeline O’Brien, who made her feature debut in Ben Affleck's “Gone Baby Gone;”
• Amber Smith, a former model who has appeared on the covers of Vogue, Elle, Esquire, Maxim and Playboy in addition to appearing in feature films “The Mirror Has Two Faces,” “L.A. Confidential” and “American Beauty;”
• Chris DiVecchio, who appeared on TV shows "Alias," "Law and Order," "Girls Behaving Badly" and "The Ghost Whisperer;"
• Gene Silvers, who has appeared on "Law And Order" in addition to Broadway productions of “Irena’s Vow” and “The Whole Banana” with Matthew Perry; and
• Newcomer Gina Pardi, who has appeared in other independent and educational films, in addition to being versed in tap, ballet and jazz dance in addition to being a singer.
On the night of Nov. 6, Heske and the production crew crowded around a pickup truck parked at Carlton and Main streets to film a bonding moment between Kerbs’ and Montgomery’s characters. The mood was light, but Heske said shooting is on an “aggressive schedule.”
The budget is relatively small — only $80,000 to $100,00.
Digital technology will make it possible to produce a quality, rich-looking film under tight constraints, Heske said in a previous Daily Voice interview.
Heske said he hoped to have the film in the can by early next year, in time to enter the film in the festival circuit.