GRAFTON, Mass.- A South Grafton family is suing grocer Trader Joe’s and a food manufacturer after they say their 4-year-old son contracted salmonella from peanut butter.
Jason and Brandi Henson filed a lawsuit with Worcester County Superior Court after tests came back positive for a strain of the food borne infection that was linked to 29 other cases in 19 states.
The Henson’s son, Jackson, became sick in July after eating Valencia Creamy Peanut Butter, a brand they bought at a Trader Joe’s supermarket in Shrewsbury. Jackson, like many children his age, considers peanut butter a staple in his diet. Today, the boy is fully recovered and doing well.
“We discovered the link between the peanut butter and the salmonella poisoning two days before Trader Joe’s issued a recall,” said Jason Henson, Jackson’s father.
The suit was filed Oct. 4 against Trader Joe’s and Sundland Corporation, the manufacturer.
“My client was feeding what she believed was a safe product,” said Attorney William D. Marler in a prepared statement.
Suspected in the outbreak are 16-ounce containers with "use by" dates of May 23, 2013 and June 28, 2013. Trader Joe’s has posted a warning on its website.